Back to North East Drive Mobility home page
Health Professional referral form – Powered Wheelchair and Mobility Scooters Assessments
Patient self referral form – Powered Wheelchair and Mobility Scooters Assessments
Our Newcastle centre offers both powered wheelchair and mobility scooter assessments to help advise and assist you to keep mobile.
Referrals are accepted from Health Professionals and patients. Please complete one of the referral forms or contact us on 0191 287 5090 and email [email protected]
A short video about powered wheelchair and scooter assessments
There are a variety of types of Powered Wheelchairs and Mobility Scooters to enable individuals to stay mobile and our Mobility Clinician will discuss your individual requirements with you to help find something suitable for you.
In order to find the best option for you, our wheelchair or scooter assessments include:
- A discussion of your current mobility.
- Current medical history and eyesight check.
- Height, weight and seated measurements.
- Understanding your seating and comfort requirements.
- A discussion of where the equipment will be used and how far you would like to travel with it.
- A discussion on stowing and charging the equipment.
- Advice on how the equipment will be transported.
- Understanding your ability to self-propel or drive the equipment.
- A discussion about how you intend on getting around – will you be assisted? And if so, what are your carers’ needs?
- How you intend, if known, on accessing or funding equipment.
- And finally, time to try out the equipment.
Some individuals may be entitled to a powered wheelchair provided through the NHS where a specific criterion needs to be met to be eligible for an NHS powered wheelchair. During our assessment, our Mobility Clinician can advise you whether you meet the NHS powered wheelchair criteria, and if not, can recommend other ways to access equipment.
Points of You
Did we listen to you when making decisions about care and treatment – 98% responded ‘yes’.
Points of You feedback
Feedback is very important to us. Fill out our Points of You survey
to anonymously have your say and comment on the ward or service you have experienced.