North East Drive Mobility is based at Walkergate Park, Centre for Neuro-psychiatry, Newcastle upon Tyne. We also have outreach centres in Carlisle and Teesside. The service helps people to retain or regain independence as drivers and passengers. North East Drive Mobility provides independent assessment and advice to people with a medical condition, or disability, which may affect their ability to drive, or use a vehicle as a passenger.
The service is for experienced and learner drivers, or provisional licence holders who have not yet started to learn to drive. Advice and assessment is also offered to people of all ages with mobility difficulties on travelling safely in a vehicle as a passenger.
The North East Drive Mobility service offers:
- A specialist, independent driving and passenger assessment, which is clinically led by skilled and trained Mobility Clinicians and Driving Advisers
- Assessment of driving ability, involving a clinical assessment, followed by in car assessment and, if appropriate, progression on to driving on the public highway.
- Recommendations on an individual’s ability to return to, or commence driving, or in some cases advice relating to ceasing driving
- For clients recommended to cease driving, or who require advice on alternatives to driving, our Regional Transport Hub can help. This service offers help and advice for non-drivers, including information on accessing public transport, information on accessible transport and help to improve confidence to travel.
- Advice on vehicle adaptations and driver solutions
- A range of assessment vehicles with a variety of adaptations, including high-tech drive from wheelchair solutions
- Advice on getting into and out of a vehicle, including wheelchair stowage
- Specialist driving tuition, for clients who have previously been assessed at the Centre
- Information and advice service, including advice relating to the DVLA fitness to drive licensing process, and possible alternatives to using a car, eg community transport services
Outreach assessment services are provided in Cumbria and Teesside; please contact the main service at Walkergate Park, Newcastle upon Tyne on telephone number 0191 287 5090 or email email@example.com for further information.
There is no cost for an assessment if you refer yourself, or are referred by your doctor or health professional, or the DVLA.
If you are considering accessing the service directly, we recommend that you discuss any driving and health related concerns with your GP.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information and advice.
For further information on the work of Mobility Centres please visit www.drivingmobility.org.uk
How to make a referral to North East Drive Mobility
Referral form for health professionals
Directions to Walkergate Park
Directions to Pacific House, Carlisle
Directions to Phoenix House, Stockton-on-Tees
- If you are a health care professional and wish to refer your patient/client for assessment, please use the form below
- Individuals may self refer by contacting North East Drive Mobility directly by telephone 0191 287 5090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not complete the form on this website if you are self-referring)