Following national restrictions due to Covid-19 we are pleased to advise that our service is now fully operational and we welcome all new referrals.
North East Drive Mobility is based at Walkergate Park, Centre for Neuro-psychiatry, Newcastle upon Tyne. We also have outreach centres in Carlisle and Teesside. The service helps people to retain or regain independence as drivers and passengers. North East Drive Mobility provides independent assessment and advice to people with a medical condition, or disability, which may affect their ability to drive, or use a vehicle as a passenger.
The service is for experienced and learner drivers, or provisional licence holders who have not yet started to learn to drive. Advice and assessment is also offered to people of all ages with mobility difficulties on travelling safely in a vehicle as a passenger.
The North East Drive Mobility service offers:
- A specialist, independent driving and passenger assessment, which is clinically led by skilled and trained Mobility Clinicians and Driving Advisers.
- Assessment of driving ability, involving a clinical assessment, followed by in car assessment and, if appropriate, progression on to driving on the public highway.
- Recommendations on an individual’s ability to return to, or commence driving, or in some cases advice relating to ceasing driving.
Outreach assessment services are provided in Cumbria and Teesside; please contact the main service at Walkergate Park, Newcastle upon Tyne on telephone number 0191 287 5090 or email email@example.com for further information.
There is no cost for an assessment if you refer yourself, or are referred by your doctor or health professional, or the DVLA.
If you are considering accessing the service directly, we recommend that you discuss any driving and health related concerns with your GP.
Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information and advice.
For further information on the work of Mobility Centres please visit www.drivingmobility.org.uk
How to make a referral to North East Drive Mobility
Health Professional Referral form – Driving Assessments
Health Professional Referral form – Passenger/Access Assessments
Health Professional Referral form – Powered Wheelchair and Mobility Scooters Assessments
Directions to Walkergate Park
Directions to Pacific House, Carlisle
Directions to Phoenix House, Stockton-on-Tees
- If you are a health care professional and wish to refer your patient/client for assessment, please use one of the forms below
- Individuals may self refer by contacting North East Drive Mobility directly by telephone 0191 287 5090 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (please do not complete the forms on this website if you are self-referring)