Information and resources for health professionals
In this section you will find information that may be useful when helping someone to lose or maintain weight, or to become more physically active.
Encouraging physical activity – UK Chief Medical Officer’s Guidance
This infographic from the UK’s CMO has some top tips for how health professionals can encourage others to engage in physical activity.
If you are a health professional you can use the following referral forms:
- Ashington Health Start
- Cramlington Health Start
- Exercise Referral Scheme (Active Northumberland) – GP referral scheme offering group supervised exercise classes, gym sessions and other activities such as racquet sports. The GP Referral team at the leisure centre will help choose activities that are safe and enjoyable and will offer support and encouragement over a period of 12 weeks.
- Gateshead Livewell
- Healthy 4 life
- Morpeth Health Start
- Ponteland Active Start
- Sunderland Adult Weight Management
- Sunderland Move to Improve Programme
- Sunderland Recovery College – 12 week gym course
The North Cumbria section is currently under development, please check back soon.
Please note: referrals to weight loss programmes such as Slimming World and Weight Watchers are through GP.
In this section you will find links to useful contacts:
- Good Youth Move Gym – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Healthy Lives Physical Activity Officer (North East) – Lindsey Elliot 0191 424 7848
- Healthy4Life Family Lifestyle Group Intervention – email@example.com
- The Green Gym (North East) – Groundworks ST 0191 428 1144
- Tier 2 Weight Management – Active Health (Newcastle) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Useful websites and documents
In this section you will find links to useful websites:
- AWOYM Conference Poster
- AWOYM Presentation
- NICE Guidance – Behaviour Change
- NICE Guidance – Diabetes
- NICE Guidance – Diet, Nutrition & Obesity
- NICE Guidance – Eating Disorders
- NICE Guidance – Mental Health & Wellbeing
- NICE Guidance – Obesity
- NICE Guidance – People with Learning Disabilites
- NICE Guidance – Physical Activity