Our charitable funds (UK registered charity: 1165788) make a huge difference to the experience of service users who are cared for in our hospital sites and community services across the North East and Cumbria.
Charitable donations can provide the support for the extra things that would not be possible from the funding we receive from central government alone.
The SHINE fund is a key part of our charitable activity. The fund helps support people who use our services by providing the extra things that can make a real difference.
SHINE stands for Support, Hope, Inspire, Nurture and Empower. Since being established in 2014 the SHINE fund has supported service users with everything from horse-riding outings to gardening tools, summer activities for young people, and even Christmas decorations for our wards.
The funding from SHINE does not replace the money used to fund care. Instead it helps to provide ‘little extras’ – therapeutic activities or items of comfort to assist with people’s care, treatment or rehabilitation, generally helping towards them living a happier, fuller life.
How the SHINE fund makes a difference
Charitable donations to the SHINE fund have been used to help our patients via hundreds of different grants including:
- Support to develop Recovery Colleges across the North East, including the Recovery College Collective (ReCoCo), an award-winning peer-led education and support service in Newcastle which runs hundreds of free courses every year
- A new garden space transforming the environment for children and young people at our Alnwood unit, with new features including outdoor furniture, garden walls decorated in bright colours, improved sitting areas and new horticultural beds
- Digital touchscreen reminiscence therapy systems for patients with dementia in Northumberland, Newcastle and Sunderland, and Memory trees for the Dementia Centre at Monkwearmouth Hospital
- Purchase of equipment such as music centres, bean bags and equipment for chill out rooms in several of our wards
- Support for family-based activities from our STARRT team who provide social, therapeutic and recreational rehabilitation for service users at Walkergate Park Hospital
- Installation of stained glass panels which our service users helped design into a faith room
- Paintings on loan which are displayed in our corridors and meeting rooms, helping to provide a soothing and calming atmosphere for our service users
Giving to SHINE
We encourage our staff, patients and carers to raise money for our SHINE fund if they would like to give something back, and every year our services host lots of great fundraising events and ideas across the North East and Cumbria.
Since 2015 NTW staff have also completed the Great North Run for SHINE, raising thousands of pounds in the process.
How you can help us
We offer many ways to support the SHINE fund and we are hugely grateful for each and every donation we receive. Your support will help enhance the experience of people receiving care from CNTW’s mental health and disability services across the North East and Cumbria.
We provide a secure online donation service via JustGiving, where you can make a one-off or regular donation using a credit or debit card. Visit our JustGiving site.
One-off donation by cheque
Please use the link below to download a form if you wish to make a one-off donation by cheque to the SHINE fund.
Download a SHINE fund donation form (119kB)
Host a fundraising event
We can provide support and advice on hosting your own fundraising event for SHINE. Please note that prior permission is required to use our Trust’s name or branding in any fundraising event. For more information please contact our Charitable Funds team using the details below.
A Gift in your Will
After providing for their loved ones, many people make a gift to their local hospital in recognition of personal treatment, or that provided to a relative or friend. You can help maintain and improve our services for future generations by including us in your Will.
Our Charitable Funds Team can provide confidential help and advice on appropriate wording for your Will.
To contact our Charitable Funds team please call 0191 2467215, email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Ailsa Miller, Charitable Funds, c/o St Nicholas Hospital, Jubilee Road, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 3XT.