In this section you will find information and advice about behaviour change techniques that you might find useful when considering how you will manage your weight.
Motivational Interviewing – Psychology Today
Motivational interviewing is a technique which may be used by healthcare staff when discussing the management of physical health conditions and needs. You can learn more about this technique by visiting this website and you can use the postcode search tool at the top of the page to find a therapist near you.
Mindful Eating – The Centre for Mindful Eating
Mindful eating isn’t just about eating slowly. Find out how you can adjust your eating habits to get the most out of your food by taking a look at The Centre for Mindful Eating website.
Food for Thought – NHS
Food for thought is part of a library of NHS online self-help booklets, they are available in a range of styles, including easy read, audio and video. The booklet covers topics such as adopting a healthy eating plan, understanding the psychological influences of eating, mindful eating, improving your body image and more.
Useful websites and apps
In this section you will find links to useful websites and apps that you might find useful when considering how you will manage your weight:
- CNTW Self Help Leaflets – View and download a wide range of mental health self help guides in different formats.
- Recovery Colleges – Recovery Colleges provide a safe space where people can connect, gain knowledge and develop skills
- Change4Life – Adult, children and healthy eating advice for the general population
- Kids Health – Advice and information for kids, teens, parents and educators.
- Mental Health Foundation – Diet and mental health advice for adults living with mental health problems
- MIND – Food and Mood explores the relationship between what you eat and how you feel, including tips on how to incorporate healthy eating into your life
- NHS One You: Eat Better – Website with lots of information on healthy eating. You can also download the Easy Meals app on this site to make it easier to search for recipes by meal time and create shopping lists.
- Royal College of Psychiatrists – Healthy eating advice for adults living with mental health problems
- NHS One You: Ways to Lose Weight – Find resources such as the NHS adult weight loss plan created in collaboration with the British Dietetic Association. Also information on calculating your BMI, chatting to your GP and more.