St. Nicholas Hospital
St. Nicholas Hospital sits in beautiful Victorian parkland in the heart of Gosforth, Newcastle. It is home to a range of clinical departments, as well as the majority of our corporate services.
The main reception of St. Nicholas Hospital is tucked beneath our old Victorian clock tower. This is at the heart of the site and is the best place to go to if you need directions to one of the many departments we have here.
St. Nicholas Hospital provides a range of clinical services, including:
- Adult Forensic Medium and Low Secure
- Adult Urgent Care and Rehabilitation
- Children and Young People’s Medium Secure
- Older People’s Specialist Long Term Care
Some of our community services are also based at St. Nicholas Hospital. See our service directory for more information.
In addition to clinical services, the majority of corporate services for the Trust are also provided at St. Nicholas Hospital, including corporate affairs, human resources and finance.
There has been a hospital on this site since the 1860s. In 1884 permission was granted to extend the hospital, and the East and West Pavilions were completed in 1887.
During the First World War, patients were evacuated and St. Nicholas Hospital became the No1 War Hospital for wounded soldiers, who were brought there by train. In 1921, it became a hospital for mentally ill patients again. It was in 1948 that the NHS took it over and it was given the name St. Nicholas Hospital.
The grounds are also home to a Northumberland Wildlife Trust office and a Royal Mail postal depot.
St. Nicholas Hospital has a theatre onsite, the Jubliee Theatre, which opened in 1899. It is used for lectures and trust events, as well as by two theatre groups, Juniper Productions and First Act Theatre.
The site is made up of 12 hectares of land with mainly Victorian style buildings, some new-build facilities and a number of other buildings. Newer builds include the Bamburgh Clinic, which was completed in 2006. In 2009, The renovation of the Victorian hospital building was nominated for the Best Design in the Community Benefit category of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors North-East Renaissance Awards. The majority of the site is subject to a conservation order through the local planning and Local Development Framework.