How to be referred
The NRGDS is an NHS service for people who experience gender dysphoria. We are based in Newcastle upon Tyne. Our appointments are usually a mixture of face to face in the North East of England and remote, online or telephone appointments.
If you are a healthcare professional referring someone to NRGDS please use this form
To refer yourself to NRGDS you must:
- Have a GP who has a surgery in England or Wales
- Be eligible for treatment on the NHS
- Be aged 18 years or older
- Think that you may experience gender dysphoria
Some people are not sure if they experience gender dysphoria.
Some people are not sure if they want to have medical or psychological treatments to help them to manage their gender dysphoria.
We are happy to consider your self-referral even if you are not sure:
- if what you are experiencing is gender dysphoria,
- or if medical or psychological treatments are right for you.
You do not have to refer yourself to NRGDS, you can ask your GP to do it for you if you prefer. If you have already been referred and accepted to NRGDS, you do not need to self-refer.
If you fit the criteria described above and would like to refer yourself to the NRGDS you can do so by downloading and filling out this form.
If you’re supporting someone to self refer you may find this easy read consent form useful. You must also complete the referral form.
Alternatively, you can contact NRGDS and ask us to post or email you the form. When you have filled in the form, please follow the instructions below to return the form to us.
Instructions for returning the self-referral form
When you have completed the form, you can choose one of the following ways to send it to us.
- Email it to us at NRGDS@cntw.nhs.uk
- Post a paper copy of the form to us at NRGDS, Benfield House, Walkergate Park Hospital, Benfield Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE6 4QD
- Drop a paper copy of the form off at NRGDS in person.
Useful information to have to hand
Before you complete the form, you will need to gather some information to help you.
You will need:
- The surgery name and address of your GP
- Your contact details including phone numbers and email address
- Your NHS number (optional, but it really helps us if you can send it)
Please make sure that your contact details are correct.
If you have not heard from us in four weeks please contact us again to ensure that your form has been received.