The Children and Young People’s Service provides a single service to all children and young people aged 0-18 years who present with mental health difficulties. This includes children and young people who may have learning disabilities and or autism and those living in a range of difficult and challenging circumstances. The services provide:
- Assessment, diagnosis and intervention on a range of mental health difficulties
- Intensive home based treatment for those children and young people whose mental health is causing significant concern
- A comprehensive transition support package to those young people who are approaching their 18th birthday and may need continuing support as adults
- 24 hour access to support
- Training, consultation, support and advice to frontline staff working in targeted services for children and young people in special circumstances including;
- Services for children with disabilities including learning disability services, special schools and specialist education services
We have an information leaflet for young people which explains the Community Children and Young People’s Service for Newcastle, Gateshead, Northumberland, South Tyneside and Sunderland – click here to download the leaflet in a range of formats.
Health Transition Nursing Team (Sunderland only)
In addition to the services above, the Sunderland Adult Learning Disability Service have a Health Transition Nursing Team. The team offer health needs assessments and support to young people with a learning disability and complex healthcare needs between the ages of 14-25 years to make the transition from child to adult health services. The team work with other health professionals and agencies to ensure that the healthcare received by the young person throughout the transition process is coordinated and uninterrupted. More information about the Health Transition Nursing Team.
North Tyneside CAMHS
Please note that we do not provide a Child and Adolescent Mental Health service (CAMHS) in North Tyneside. This service is provided by Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. More information about North Tyneside CAMHS
Information for referrers
If you are a GP or other referrer please see the dedicated Referrers section of this website.