In 2016, we were one of the first NHS Trusts of our kind to be given an ‘outstanding’ rating by the Care Quality Commission.
The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent regulator of all health and social care services in England.
It makes sure health and social care services provide people with safe, effective, compassionate, high-quality care. The CQC encourages care services to improve.
The independent regulator published its 2016 findings in the form of 15 core service reports and an overall report, which rated NTW as ‘outstanding’ – the best possible outcome. All of the individual service reports were also either ‘outstanding’ or ‘good’.
We know that we don’t always get things right. We are not complacent; we listen when we get things wrong and work to ensure that improvements are made.John LawlorChief executive
NTW chief executive John Lawlor said at the time: “We’re delighted that the contribution our staff make to the lives of those we serve has been recognised by this ‘outstanding’ inspection report. We are very proud of our staff and the professional and dedicated way in which they support service users; working with them, family members and carers to shape services.
“We know that we don’t always get things right. We are not complacent; we listen when we get things wrong and work to ensure that improvements are made. This is reflected in our CQC report.
“No other NHS provider of similar services has been given an Outstanding rating before today – it’s all down to our staff, service users, carers and partners.
“Our aim as an organisation is to improve the wellbeing of everyone we serve through delivering services that match the best in the world. This report shows we are making real progress.”
Our latest CQC inspection ratings
Here’s a brief overview of how the Care Quality Commission rated our services in its last inspection.
NTW overall rating: OUTSTANDING
- Safe (Good) – “There was an openness and transparency in relation to safety across the Trust. Staff were able to tell us about the need for openness and transparency when mistakes were made.”
- Effective (Outstanding) – “Services offered patients a comprehensive, holistic approach to their assessment, planning and delivery of care. Innovation in practice was actively encouraged. The Trust was committed to the continual development of its staff.”
- Caring (Outstanding) – “Staff were motivated, inspired and enthusiastic in offering care that promoted people’s dignity. Staff demonstrated that they cared about the well-being of patients and had pride in their work. Feedback from patients and carers regarding their care and treatment was consistently positive.”
- Responsive (Outstanding) – “Service users, carers and staff were consulted and involved in the design and development of new services and there was evidence of the Trust listening to and learning from patients. Services were continually reviewed and developed to respond to the needs of patients and improve care and treatment offered.”
- Well Led (Outstanding) – “The Trust had a clear vision and values which were incorporated into all aspects of the Trust’s business. External stakeholders felt leadership within the Trust was proactive. Staff across the organisation said that senior managers were visible and supportive.
Care Quality Commission inspection ratings for our service areas
• Acute wards for adults or working age and psychiatric intensive care units – GOOD
• Wards for older people with mental health problems – GOOD
• Wards for people with learning disabilities and autism – OUTSTANDING
• Long stay/rehabilitation mental health wards for working age adults – OUTSTANDING
• Child and adolescent mental health wards – GOOD
• Forensic inpatient/secure wards – GOOD
Outpatient and community services:
• Mental health crisis care services and health-based places of safety – GOOD
• Community mental health services for adults of working age – OUTSTANDING
• Community-based mental health services for older people – OUTSTANDING
• Community mental health services for people with a learning disability or autism – OUTSTANDING
• Specialist community mental health services for children and young people – OUTSTANDING
• Substance misuse services – GOOD
Walkergate Park Services
• Medical care (including older people’s care) – Walkergate Park – OUTSTANDING
• Outpatients and diagnostic imaging – Walkergate Park – OUTSTANDING
Social care services:
• Adult social care (Easterfield Court) – GOOD