This leaflet provides you with information which you will find useful during your stay on Ward 3.
This leaflet may not be reproduced in whole or in part, without the permission of Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Share this page:
We would like to welcome you, your family and friends to Ward 3 at Walkergate Park.
This leaflet provides you with information which you will find useful during your stay. If you are not sure about anything in this leaflet please ask a member of staff.
Ward 3 provides a specialist neurorehabilitation service based at Walkergate Park, Newcastle upon Tyne. If you would like to make an informal visit to ward 3 before admission please ask a member of staff.
Ward 3 cares for people who have varying degrees of neurological difficulties.
Your reason for being on this ward is unique to you. The types of assessments and rehabilitation programmes carried out will be chosen specifically to meet your needs.
During your stay, and in discharge planning, your team will carry out risk assessments to maintain your safety. Risk assessment of your home, and carer training, will be undertaken when appropriate to enable you to spend time at home prior to discharge.
When you arrive on the ward you will be welcomed by a member of the healthcare team. They will explain what will happen during your stay, give you information about the ward and you will have time to settle into the ward.
Your length of stay depends on your personal needs. Some people stay with us for a few weeks, others several months. Your goals and length of stay with be discussed and agreed with you.
We will always confirm your length of stay at your first team review meeting. In some cases it may be sooner.
When you are admitted to the ward, you will be given a personal timetable of therapies and events which are specific to your needs. Your timetable will be fairly quiet during the first few days in order to help you to settle into your new surroundings. After assessment your therapy needs will be discussed with you and a specific therapy programme will be provided aimed at supporting you to achieve your particular goals. This will include some, or all, of the following therapies and activities:
• Variety of group sessions
• Occupational therapy
• Neuro psychology
• Social therapy and recreational rehabilitation
• Speech and Language Therapy
You will receive your individual timetable every week from the ward staff.
Every month a patients’ ward meeting takes place where staff and patients have an opportunity to discuss any issues, positive or negative, which affect you and the unit. Its aim is to support you, to have your opinions heard, and to help you feel involved on the unit. You will have the chance to:
• Raise any concerns about the service you receive.
• Identify any positive influences, which you feel may benefit future service users.
• Make suggestions and give ideas that could improve and influence the development of services.
• Receive information on general hospital trust issues that may concern you.
You are the most important person in your rehabilitation. Members of your rehabilitation team will meet regularly with you to discuss your personal goals. If you are not able to do this or do not wish to, it may be appropriate for us to meet with a close relative or friend instead.
Regular team review meetings will be offered to give you and your family/ friends an opportunity to discuss your progress and to talk to the whole team involved in your rehabilitation.
Staff can arrange an interpreter if you need one.
If you want to make a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint you can:
• talk to the people directly involved in your care
• ask a member of staff for a feedback form, or complete a form on the Trust website www.cntw.nhs.uk (click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab)
• telephone the Complaints Department 0191 245 6672
• email email@example.com Please note that information sent to the Trust via email is sent at your own risk
• We are always looking at ways to improve services. Your feedback allows us to monitor the quality of our services and act upon issues that you bring to our attention.
You can provide feedback in the following ways:
- the quickest way for you to do this is to complete our short online survey at www.cntw.nhs.uk/poy
- complete a Points of You survey, available from staff.
Walkergate Park Centre for Neurorehabilitation and Neuropsychiatry
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tel: 0191 287 5053
Further information about the content, reference sources or production of this leaflet can be obtained from the Patient Information Centre. If you would like to tell us what you think about this leaflet please get in touch.
This information can be made available in a range of formats on request (eg Braille, audio, larger print, easy read, BSL or other languages). Please contact the Patient Information Centre Tel: 0191 246 7288
Published by the Patient Information Centre
2020 Copyright, Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust