The service offers care and treatment including:
• Pre-conceptual counselling for women with a history of serious mental health problems such as bipolar disorder and psychosis.
• Specialist perinatal advice, treatment and care management for women with an increased risk of developing a puerperal psychosis following birth including those with a previous history of puerperal psychosis or psychotic disorders or a diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder,
Schizoaffective and Schizophrenia.
• Specialist perinatal advice, treatment and management of medication during pregnancy and into the post-partum period including considerations of medication advice related to
breastfeeding from our medical team.
• Specialist support from perinatal community psychiatric nurses regarding interventions and mental health support.
• Specialist nursery nurses who can offer one to one sessions and group work to promote mother and baby attachment.
• Peer support workers who can share their own lived experience and support mothers and their babies and families with their recovery journey.
• Integrating mental health support into obstetric clinics.
• The team works together with the linked specialised In-patient mother and baby unit (Beadnell Ward) to provide alternatives to admission and treatment and support in the community for women following discharge from an in-patient stay.
• Safeguarding children and adults through daily contact with families, supporting early help plans and active involvement in safeguarding procedures.
• Our multidisciplinary staff have specialist training in a range of therapies including Cognitive Behaviour Therapy; Interpersonal Psychotherapy; Systemic Practice; Video Interaction Guidance; Eye Movement Desensitization and Processing Therapy and mindfulness.
• Specialist psychological support offering individual assessment and therapy.