This leaflet may not be reproduced in whole or in part, without the permission of Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Share this page:
This leaflet gives help and advice when visiting a relative or friend in hospital.
If you have any questions please speak to a member of staff who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
• If you consider a patient is at risk of falling or has had a previous fall, please tell the nurse in charge of the ward. In this way falls can be addressed and prevented whenever possible.
• Please let staff know if the patient usually has difficulty at home with tasks such as standing up from a chair, walking, dressing and using the toilet. Inform staff if they have difficulty being able to maintain their own safety at these times which may result in a fall.
• Following multidisciplinary assessment, a care plan will be agreed to address risk factors that may lead to a fall. In this way falls can be prevented whenever possible.
• Care Staff will be made aware if the patient has a visual / spatial awareness difficulty, or has difficulty with memory that may necessitate a staff member to prompt the patient to use a walking aid or to assist the patient to walk to promote safe mobility at all times.
• Please tell a member of staff if the patient is usually unable to remember information and may forget to use their walking aid.
• Please tell a member of staff that you are leaving.
In the interest of everyone’s safety, please tell a member of staff if you see a potential hazard in the ward, such as:
• Spills of liquid on the floor.
• Trailing wires/cables.
• Obstacles around the bed area.
• Any other hazard that may lead to a patient fall.
If you have any comments or suggestions on safety issues, please let the nurse in charge know.
Don’t be worried about asking staff for assistance
We are here to help
Further information about the content, reference sources or production of this leaflet can be obtained from the Patient Information Centre. If you would like to tell us what you think about this leaflet please get in touch.
This information can be made available in a range of formats on request (eg Braille, audio, larger print, easy read, BSL or other languages). Please contact the Patient Information Centre
Tel: 0191 246 7288
Published by the Patient Information Centre
2020 Copyright, Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust