Pharmacy Medicines Information Helpline – Information Leaflet
Information about the Pharmacy Medicines Information Helpline. A service for outpatients who have been prescribed a medication by the Trust. Calls are answered by qualified staff.
This leaflet may not be reproduced in whole or in part, without the permission of Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
The Pharmacy Medicines Information Helpline is for outpatients who have been prescribed a medication by Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust.
Calls will be answered by qualified staff. We can answer any question about medication you are prescribed or anything else that you take. For example, medicines bought from the chemist or the internet. We may need to ask you for your name, address and date of birth but this is for our records only. All calls are completely confidential.
What type of things can you ask?
• Will my medication cause side effects?
• Can I drink alcohol with my medication?
• Can I buy other remedies over the counter?
• Why am I prescribed this medication?
• When is the best time of day to take my medication?
• What should I do if I have missed a dose?
• Where to find a local pharmacy that is open to dispense your prescription.
Things that it may be better to ask your doctor/community worker at your next appointment
• How long will I need to stay on my medication (everyone is different and your doctor can comment on your individual circumstances).
• If you think your symptoms are coming back.
• If you are considering stopping your medication and want to talk it through.
The Pharmacy Medicines Information Helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am-5pm.
Please ring: 0191 245 6604
Please have your medicine(s) to hand when you call. If nobody is available to take your call, please leave your name and a contact number on the answer machine.
• CNTW Choice and Medication page
Further information on specific medication or mental health conditions.
• Medicine Guides – NHS Choices
Up to date, reliable and understandable information about medicines.
• Patient Information Centre, St Nicholas Hospital
Tel: 0191 246 7288
Further information on medicines, conditions and treatments.
What if I have a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint about the service?
If you want to make a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint you can:
• talk to the people directly involved in your care
• ask a member of staff for a feedback form, or complete a form on the Trust website www.cntw.nhs.uk (click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab)
• telephone the Complaints Department 0191 245 6672
• email firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that information sent to the Trust via email is sent at your own risk
• We are always looking at ways to improve services. Your feedback allows us to monitor the quality of our services and act upon issues that you bring to our attention.
You can provide feedback in the following ways:
– the quickest way for you to do this is to complete our short online survey at
– complete a Points of You survey, available from staff.
Other formats, references and review
Further information about the content, reference sources or production of this leaflet can be obtained from the Patient Information Centre. If you would like to tell us what you think about this leaflet please get in touch.
This information can be made available in a range of formats on request (eg Braille, audio, larger print, easy read, BSL or other languages). Please contact the Patient Information Centre Tel: 0191 246 7288
Published by the Patient Information Centre
2021 Copyright, Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Ref, PIC/409/0421 April 2021 V7
www.cntw.nhs.uk Tel: 0191 246 7288
Review date 2024