Patients Finance Department
This leaflet tells you about the services that are available from the Patients’ Finance Department and how we can help you with your finances during your stay in hospital.
This leaflet may not be reproduced in whole or in part, without the permission of Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
This leaflet tells you about the Patients’ Finance Department within the Trust and what we can do to help you with your finances during your stay in hospital.
Safekeeping of your money and valuable property
If you bring money or valuable property into hospital, please speak to a nurse if you wish to have it securely stored by the Trust. If you hand any money or valuable property in for safekeeping you will be given a receipt. Some ward bedrooms have a safe you can use but this should just be used to keep small amounts of cash in.
Hospital bank account
• deposit and withdraw your money
• have your benefits paid into your hospital bank account
• transfer money from your personal bank account to your hospital bank account
• pay your bills from your hospital bank account eg. rent, gas, electric or any other regular payments that you need to make
• we can order goods on-line using money from your hospital bank account eg. CDs, clothing
The Patients’ Finance Department can help you with benefit advice if you need help with your benefits. You can visit one of our offices or our staff can visit you on the ward. We can help you to complete forms or signpost you to online services.
Certain benefits, eg Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payments are affected by you coming into hospital so you need to tell the Department of Work and Pensions if your stay is more than 28 days.
We may be able to help you with travelling expenses if you are receiving certain benefits, please ask a member of our team for details.
Cashiers offices are located in the following hospitals:
• Carleton Clinic
• Hopewood Park
• Monkwearmouth Hospital
• Northgate Hospital
• St Georges Park
• St Nicholas Hospital
• Walkergate Park
Other sites have facilities to access cash, please ask nursing staff for details or ring the Central Patients’ Finance Department.
Central Patients’ Finance Department
St Nicholas Hospital
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tel: 0191 246 7215 or 0191 246 7216
You can ring us with your enquiries or, if you prefer, ask a member of ward staff to ring us on your behalf with your queries
An answer phone service is also in operation when the office is closed, simply leave your name, telephone number and message and your call will be returned as soon as possible.
What if I have a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint about the service?
If you want to make a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint you can:
• talk to the people directly involved in your care
• ask a member of staff for a feedback form, or complete a form on the Trust website www.cntw.nhs.uk (click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab)
• telephone the Complaints Department 0191 245 6672
• email email@example.com Please note that information sent to the Trust via email is sent at your own risk
• We are always looking at ways to improve services. Your feedback allows us to monitor the quality of our services and act upon issues that you bring to our attention.
You can provide feedback in the following ways:
– the quickest way for you to do this is to complete our short online survey at www.cntw.nhs.uk/poy
– complete a Points of You survey, available from staff.
Other formats, references and review
Further information about the content, reference sources or production of this leaflet can be obtained from the Patient Information Centre. If you would like to tell us what you think about this leaflet please get in touch.
This information can be made available in a range of formats on request (eg Braille, audio, larger print, easy read, BSL or other languages). Please contact the Patient Information Centre Tel: 0191 246 7288
Published by the Patient Information Centre
2021Copyright, Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Ref, PIC/587/0121 January 2021 V5
www.cntw.nhs.uk Tel: 0191 246 7288
Review date 2024