Northumberland Older Adult Teams – Patient information leaflet
Information about the Northumberland Older Adult Teams who provide a wide range of support for people, usually over the age of 65, seeking specialist advice for a mental health difficulty. They work with people who need more specialist assessment or intensive treatment than their GP or other health worker is able to give.
This leaflet may not be reproduced in whole or in part, without the permission of Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Older Adult Team
Older Adult Teams provide a wide range of support for people seeking specialist advice for a mental health difficulty. The majority of people we support are 65 or older, although we do see people younger than this. We work with people who need more specialist assessment or intensive treatment than their GP or other health worker is able to give. The teams consist of a range of specially trained staff with different roles and expertise. You will see the person best able to assist you at the appropriate time.
The area where you live will determine which team will provide your care. In Northumberland the team bases are:
• North Northumberland – Alnwick, Hawkhill Business Park
– Berwick, Anderson Court
• South Central Northumberland – Ashington, Ashmore House
• West Northumberland – Fairnington Centre, Hexham Hospital
How does the Older Adult Team work?
If your GP or another professional feels that you might benefit from our help they will contact us to arrange an appointment for you. If we can help, a member of the team will see you either at your home or as an outpatient clinic as soon as possible.
We try to see all new patients within six weeks after receiving a referral dependent upon need.
At the first appointment, we will discuss with you the problems you are experiencing and the best way to help you. You may be offered further help, either by the person who assessed you, or by another member of the team. The help we offer may include:
• Further specialist assessments
• Psychological intervention/talking therapies
• Medication changes and management
• Memory clinics for the diagnosis and treatment of dementia
• Support, advice and health information
• Carer support for family members
• Linking with your GP and other services as necessary
Contact details and emergency phone numbers
The teams work Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm except for Bank Holidays.
The team contact number is on your appointment letter.
You can contact the teams by ringing during opening hours, Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm.
If you need to speak to someone outside of these times in case of emergency, you can contact:
• Your GP
• Accident and Emergency – Wansbeck General Hospital – 0344 811 8111
• NHS 111
• The Samaritans – 116 123
• Social Services Emergency Duty Team – 0345 600 5252
• Northumberland Initial Response Team – 0303 123 1146
Confidentiality and Data Protection
We have a duty to keep information about you confidential. We make sure that we only share it with others who are involved in providing care for you such as your GP or Social care professional. We keep all information securely.
Staff can arrange an interpreter if you need one.
What if I have a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint about the service?
If you want to make a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint you can:
• talk to the people directly involved in your care
• ask a member of staff for a feedback form, or complete a form on the Trust website www.cntw.nhs.uk (click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab)
• telephone the Complaints Department 0191 245 6672
• email firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that information sent to the Trust via email is sent at your own risk
• We are always looking at ways to improve services. Your feedback allows us to monitor the quality of our services and act upon issues that you bring to our attention.
You can provide feedback in the following ways:
– the quickest way for you to do this is to complete our short online survey at
– complete a Points of You survey, available from staff.
• North Northumberland Older Adult
Hawkhill Business Park
Northumberland, NE66 3PG
Telephone: 01665 608 000
51 Hide Hill
Northumberland, TD15 1EQ
Telephone: 01289 301 301
• South Central Northumberland Older Adults CTT
Northumberland, NE63 0EY
Telephone: 01670 844 730
• West Northumberland Older Adult
Hexham General Hospital
Northumberland, NE46 1QJ
Telephone: 01434 612 800
Information about content, other formats and version control
Further information about the content, reference sources or production of this leaflet can be obtained from the Patient Information Centre. If you would like to tell us what you think about this leaflet please get in touch.
This information can be made available in a range of formats on request (eg Braille, audio, larger print, easy read, BSL or other languages). Please contact the Patient Information Centre Tel: 0191 246 7288
Published by the Patient Information Centre
2022 Copyright, Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Ref, PIC/688/0622 June 2022 V11
www.cntw.nhs.uk Tel: 0191 246 7288
Review date 2025