Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Please continue to wear your face mask while you are in our hospitals and community services.

For health information and advice, read our pages on coronavirus. Learn about the government response to coronavirus on GOV.UK

Adult ADHD Service – Information for referrers

Our Adult Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) service provides assessment and treatment for men and women over the age of 18 who may have a diagnosis of ADHD.

  • About the service

    The Adult Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) is provided by CNTW NHS Foundation Trust and accepts referrals for people over the age of 18 who have GP’s in Northumberland, North Tyneside, Newcastle and Gateshead, Sunderland and South Tyneside.

    The service is commissioned to provide an assessment for people over the age of 18 years old who may have a diagnosis of ADHD. If a positive diagnosis is given, the service can provide treatment in the form of medication if this is deemed appropriate. If accepted into the service, patients will have a review appointment every 6 or 12 months depending on individual need.

    The Adult ADHD Service is only commissioned to provide assessment and treatment for
    ADHD and cannot treat any co-morbidities.

  • Who should I refer?

    Consider a referral for an assessment for possible Adult ADHD when the following criteria have been met:
    • person is over the age of 18 years
    • there is clear evidence of difficulties with concentration, attention or hyperactivity which is having a significant impact on the person’s life
    • the above symptoms have been present before the age of 12 years

    If the symptoms can possibly be caused by another mental health diagnosis such as anxiety, depression, personality disorder and this has not been assessed or treated, this should be done prior to a referral to the Adult ADHD Service.

  • Who can refer to the service?

    The service accepts referrals from GP’s, Community Mental Health Teams, IAPT Services, other mental health services and partner agencies. Please ensure that the individual is aware of and consenting to the referral.

  • How do I refer someone to the service?

    A referral form is available from the service directly (or in the attached link above). Please return completed forms to:

    Adult ADHD Service Keegan Court
    NE10 8DX.
    or fax to: 0191 287 6251

  • What happens after I make a referral?

    The referral will be discussed at the Triage Meeting. We may contact you for more information or a decision may be made that the referral does not meet the criteria for an assessment and the referral will be discharged.

    Accepted referrals will be placed on the waiting list for an assessment. You will be informed if the referral has been accepted or rejected by the service.

  • What if I have a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint about the service?

    If you would like to make a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint we would ask that you contact us in the first instance.

    You can also complete a feedback form which is available from the Trust

    • You can complete a feedback form electronically by visiting the Trust Website (click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab)

    • Or telephone: Complaints Department Telephone: 0191 246 6672

  • Contact us

    Adult ADHD Service Keegan Court
    NE10 8DX

    Telephone: 0191 287 6250