I qualified in 1991 & completed my training in Newcastle upon Tyne.
My Trust roles are Group Medical Director for the central locality (Newcastle & Gateshead) & Consultant Psychiatrist in general adult psychiatry.
I am chair of the Mental Health Legislation Steering Group for the Trust. The Steering Group provides assurance reports to the Trust Mental Health Legislation Committee.
As a senior manager & leader in the Trust I have expertise in managing medical vacancy challenges. I have reviewed job adverts & descriptions, & updated the Trust marketing approach at external events that offer recruitment opportunities.
I offer medical assessment to the Trust repatriation contract group. This assessment supports repatriation of patients in an out of area placements and I was invited by the Department of Health to work with the group defining out of area placements and recommending data measurements to increase understanding of this key component of national mental health policy.
Nationally I hold roles concerning outcomes & payment in mental health:
- I am the Specialist Advisor for Payment Systems for the Royal College of Psychiatrists. I have been an expert contributing to discussions with NHS England & NHS Improvement about reforming national payment systems. I wrote the College response to the consultation on the 2019 National Tariff.
- I am the Lead for Outcomes in Mental Health for the Royal College of Psychiatrists. I have written a paper on Mental Health Outcomes. This was reviewed by the College Editorial Board in September 2018 before publication.
- I sit on the Mental Health Data Information Programme Board which is hosted by the Department of Health. During 2018 I led & coordinated a meeting with NHS England & NHS Improvement concerning future national data requirements.
- I represent the Royal College of Psychiatrists on the steering group of the National Confidential Enquiry for Patient Outcomes & Deaths.
- I am a member of the Credentialing Working Group for the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- I am the Network Lead for the Leadership and Management Committee of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- I represent the Royal College of Psychiatrists at the Healthcare Costing for Value Institute Council. I have provided lectures at Healthcare Financial Management Association Masterclasses considering how to apply a value based health care approach in mental health.
As part of the Independent Review of the MHA I was invited by the Department of Health & Social Care to join the CTO (community treatment order) Topic Group.
Community Treatment Orders: an analysis of the first 5 years of use in England. Trevithick, L, Carlile, J, Nodiyal, S & Keown, P. British Journal of Psychiatry, 2018.
The Efficacy of Mifepristone in Bipolar Depression-effect on mood symptoms.
Watson, S, Bulmer, S, Gallagher, P, Svennson, LJ, Smith, MS, Watkinson, HMO, Harikumar, TR, Carlile, J, Ferrier, IN, Young, AH.
Journal of psychopharmacology
Volume: 25 Issue: 8 Pages: A20-A20 Supplement: S
Published: August 2011