Community Multiple Sclerosis Team – Patient Information Leaflet
Information about the team which provides specialised community and outpatient rehabilitation for people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and also offers support to families at any stage following diagnosis.
This leaflet may not be reproduced in whole or in part, without the permission of Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
We hope this leaflet will provide you with information about the Community Multiple Sclerosis Team based at Walkergate Park. If you are not sure about anything in this leaflet please ask a member of staff.
What is the Community Multiple Sclerosis Team?
The Team provides specialised community and outpatient rehabilitation for people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and we also offer support to families at any stage following diagnosis.
You may be seen at Walkergate Park, your home, your workplace or another community setting.
Who can access the Team?
Adults with a confirmed MS diagnosis who live in the North East Region can be referred to the Community MS Team
Who can refer to the Team?
Your GP or another professional can refer you to the team, or you can self-refer to the team if you feel you need input or support from a member of the team as detailed below.
How do I refer?
By telephone, letter or email – see page five for contact details. Please note that information sent to the Trust via email is sent at your own risk.
Following referral, you may be contacted via the telephone for further information. This will help us to identify how our service can be of the best help to you.
You will be offered an appointment via telephone or letter. There is a waiting list, but we will see you as soon as possible. Please be patient with us.
The following staff work in the Community MS Team and you may have contact with them during your treatment.
Improve physical independence through personal treatment plans and exercise programmes. Physiotherapists in the team may provide specialist services such as vestibular rehabilitation, Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES), orthotics and pain management.
• Rehabilitation Assistants
Support the work of the therapists in carrying out the rehabilitation programmes.
• Occupational Therapists
Focus on daily living, self-care activities, minor equipment adaptations, fatigue management, cognitive screening and strategies and advice around job retention.
• Neuro Rehabilitation Nurse Specialist
Provides nursing support, advice and education for service users, families and carers, working within the Community MS team and also a link to the MS rehabilitation Outpatient clinic and other services.
You may also be able to access the following:
• Getting to Grips with MS Course – a short programme aimed to support people newly diagnosed with MS.
• Fatigue Management Course- a short programme exploring ways to help yourself with fatigue symptoms
Community MS Team
Tel: 0191 287 5130
Fax: 0191 287 5057
Please note that information sent to the Trust via email is sent at your own risk.
Enquiries 9am – 4pm weekdays. If no-one is available to take your call, please leave a voicemail and we will get back to you.
• We are not an Emergency Service, in these circumstances please contact your GP or local emergency services.
• The Community MS Team provides planned therapeutic interventions.
• We are unable to fast track individuals through external service waiting lists eg: wheelchair or loan equipment services.
• Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)
North of Tyne Tel: 0800 032 0202
Provides information and advice about local
NHS services and support organisations and helps sort out any problems with NHS services.
• MS Society – National MS Helpline
Freephone: 0808 800 8000 Mon-Fri 9am-9pm
The National Centre provides information and will be able to put you in touch with your local branch.
• MS Research and Relief Fund (Head office Ben Marr House, Morpeth)
Tel: 01670 505 829 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
Complementary Therapies and various exercise classes for people affected by MS. One to one fitness sessions with qualified instructors to tailor your workout for your individual needs. Complementary therapies can be accessed at Walkergate Park
• Neurology RVI (MS Nurse Specialist)
Tel: 0191 282 5403
• Multiple Sclerosis Specialist Nurse Service- Northumberland
Tel: 01665 511 971 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm
(excluding bank holidays).
If you are worried about your own mental health or the mental health of someone you know and you need help now:
• Call 111
You can talk to your GP about mental health issues or you can call psychological services:
• Newcastle 0300 555 115
• Northumberland 0300 3030 700
• South Tyneside 0191 283 2937
• North Tyneside 0191 295 2775
• Sunderland 0191 566 5454
• Gateshead 0191 283 2541
What if I have a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint about the service?
If you want to make a comment, suggestion, compliment or complaint you can:
• talk to the people directly involved in your care
• ask a member of staff for a feedback form, or complete a form on the Trust website www.cntw.nhs.uk (click on the ‘Contact Us’ tab)
• telephone the Complaints Department 0191 245 6672
• email email@example.com Please note that information sent to the Trust via email is sent at your own risk
• We are always looking at ways to improve services. Your feedback allows us to monitor the quality of our services and act upon issues that you bring to our attention.
You can provide feedback in the following ways:
– the quickest way for you to do this is to complete our short online survey at
– complete a Points of You survey, available from staff.
Information about content, other formats and version control
Further information about the content, reference sources or production of this leaflet can be obtained from the Patient Information Centre. If you would like to tell us what you think about this leaflet please get in touch.
This information can be made available in a range of formats on request (eg Braille, audio, larger print, easy read, BSL or other languages). Please contact the Patient Information Centre Tel: 0191 246 7288
Published by the Patient Information Centre
2022 Copyright, Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust
Ref, PIC/179/0422 Apr 2022 V8
www.cntw.nhs.uk Tel: 0191 246 7288
Review date 2025